City ​​Pictures

Alan Carr has mocked the ITV show as “desperate” just days after Denise Welch’s exit, adding another painfully awkward twist to the growing turmoil.

Alan Carr Takes Swipe at Loose Women Over ‘Desperate’ NTA Voting Push as Denise Welch Confirms Exit

Alan Carr

Alan Carr has taken aim at Loose Women, branding the ITV programme’s efforts to encourage viewers to vote for it at the National Television Awards “a bit desperate.”

The long-running panel show has been nominated for Best Daytime at this year’s NTAs, where it will compete against This Morning, Good Morning Britain, James Martin’s Saturday Morning and Scam Interceptors. The ceremony is due to take place at London’s O2 Arena on September 8.

But Carr, 50, was less than impressed by what he described as repeated on-air reminders encouraging viewers to back the programme.

Alan Carr Calls Out Loose Women’s NTA Campaign

Loose Women

Carr discussed the show’s approach during the latest episode of his Bottoms Up podcast with comedian Lee Peart.

“Do you remember when Loose Women are nominated for an NTA, every day, every ad break?” Carr said. “I mean, a bit desperate.”

He quickly made clear that his criticism was directed at the promotional tactics rather than the programme itself.

“I’m just saying, we all love Loose Women, but a bit desperate,” he added.

Peart, who previously worked as a warm-up act on the ITV programme, then recalled being asked to encourage audience members to vote.

“When I was their warm-up they asked me to go out before the show, to get people to vote, on the phones,” he said. “I said, ‘this isn’t my job, I’m not doing it.’”

Denise Welch Announces Departure After Nearly 25 Years

Denise Welch

Carr’s comments come during a period of significant change for Loose Women, with longtime panellist Denise Welch announcing that she is stepping away from the programme.

The 68-year-old explained on Instagram that she wanted to devote more time to acting, which she described as her “first love” and the area in which she believes she is at her best.

“I’m leaving Loose Women after the best part of 25 years, off and on,” Welch said. “I did leave for about seven years and went back in 2018. This show has been part of mine, and my family’s life, for nearly a quarter of a century.”

Welch said she had accumulated “wonderful, wonderful memories” during her time on the programme but felt the moment had arrived to pursue new opportunities.

“At the moment, I’m having the most wonderful opportunities coming my way and I’m grabbing them by the you-know-whats and running with it for this new chapter of my life,” she explained.

Welch Reflects on Sharing Her Life With Viewers

Welch also thanked viewers who had followed her through the many years she appeared on the daytime show.

“I’ve shared my life with you — the good, the bad and the ugly,” she said. “I’m very marmite but I cherish all the comments, good or bad, that I’ve had over the years.”

Despite leaving the programme, Welch stressed that she intends to remain close to her former colleagues.

“I’ll miss everybody but I will remain friends with the whole gang because, despite what you might read, we are a happy band of campers,” she said.

Her announcement came only days after another longtime Loose Women figure, Nadia Sawalha, spoke publicly about her own departure from the programme.

Nadia Sawalha Claims She Was Removed From the Line-Up

Former EastEnders actress Sawalha has claimed she was removed from Loose Women after expressing pro-Palestinian views and said she planned to take legal action against ITV over what she believes was her treatment.

Sawalha told the Mirror that she believed she had been targeted for speaking publicly about Palestinian rights.

“I accept that there is a huge risk I will never work in television again,” she said.

She also claimed colleagues had privately offered their support but were reluctant to do so publicly because of concerns about their careers.

According to Sawalha, two prominent ITV figures reacted to an Instagram video in which she discussed her threat of legal action, but she later deleted their reactions because she did not want them to face consequences.

“I feel sad that there is an atmosphere of fear that if they were to be seen to be supporting me, their career could be at risk,” she said.

Sawalha added that she did not believe ITV’s head of daytime wanted her removed from the programme, saying: “I feel for her.”

Against that backdrop of departures and controversy, Loose Women now heads into the September 8 National Television Awards with a nomination for Best Daytime — and, according to Carr, a particularly determined campaign to secure viewers’ votes.

Related Posts

Fifa Just Handed Two Argentina Stars a Combined 17-Match Ban for the World Cup Final Brawl… but Gave Them a Complete Free Pass for the Falklands Banner That Insulted England

Argentina escape serious punishment over Falklands banner as two players receive 17-match ban for World Cup final brawl Argentina have avoided the severe punishment some critics had demanded…

Harry’s UK Comeback Faces A New Test… A Cabinet Minister Finally Puts The Sussexes’ Return On The Record! The reported Sussex return has suddenly become far more explosive, with a Cabinet minister breaking silence as Harry and Meghan prepare to establish themselves in Britain again. Their children are expected to begin school in the UK in September, creating a striking new reality for the family after years of life in California. A royal family divided, a Sussex comeback gathering pace—and one political voice has just made the return impossible to treat as business as usual

Harry and Meghan LIVE: Royal reconciliation hope raised by Cabinet minister as Sussexes moving back to UK Live updates 45 minutes ago Why are Harry and Meghan moving…

Wait…. Harry And Meghan Could Become King And Queen? Some Americans Apparently Believe The Sussexes Could Still Take The Throne. And One Key Detail About Their Royal Identity Helps Explain The Bizarre Confusion.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported return to Britain has triggered a wave of reaction in the United States, with some social media users even speculating — inaccurately…

The Sussexes Are Reportedly Set To Live In A Celebrity-Owned Home After Meghan ‘Toured Two Schools’ As Their Family’s British Plans Begin Taking Shape

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle could be preparing to settle into a celebrity-owned property when they return to Britain, according to new reports that also claim the couple…

Craig Melvin stunned the Today studio after an unexpected expletive slipped out LIVE on air — and his co-hosts’ reactions said everything. What began as a lighthearted conversation suddenly went off-script when Melvin confidently repeated a British phrase he believed he had learned years earlier. Within seconds, Rebecca Lowe was trying to stop him, Savannah Guthrie was joking about the show needing a seven-second delay, and Carson Daly was piling on as the studio erupted in laughter. Melvin insisted it was simply “a British phrase” — but there was one embarrassing problem: he hadn’t remembered the expression correctly. The words he actually said left everyone scrambling to recover.

Craig Melvin Stuns ‘Today’ Co-Hosts With Accidental British Expletive Live on Air Craig Melvin turned an ordinary sports discussion into one of the funniest moments of Friday’s Today…

THE PALACE DIDN’T SEE THIS COMING… Charles Learns Of Harry’s Return Plans And Makes A SHOCK MOVE!” King Charles was reportedly surprised by Harry and Meghan’s decision to spend more time in Britain, with the revelation coming after their recent private meeting. Now, with the Sussexes preparing for a new life chapter closer to the Royal Family, all eyes are on the King’s response. A return nobody expected, a Palace caught in the middle and a move from Charles that could change the royal landscape overnight.

Blindsided Charles only found out about Harry and Meghan’s return on Sunday and it wasn’t discussed when King met his son six weeks ago King Charles has seemingly been…